Indonesia My Love: Seminyak & Red Island

Saturday 2 April 2016


Indonesia was probably my favourite place whilst I've been travelling. Australia is the place I want to live but Bali and Indonesia as a whole are just beautiful. As always I will keep saying the people make the places but at the same time every person I've met are all in the same mindset and the same ideals as me so it's been incredible.

When I got to Bali I started off in Seminyak at a lush hostel called Capsule, with pod style beds! It's very social and close enough to everything, or a short taxi ride, and it was probably the best place for me to start my Indonesian adventure!



My first day I went out for breakfast with some friends from Australia at this amazing cafe called Moonlight and then did some shopping in Kuta. That evening I got fully into the hostels vibe and met a load of new people before we went to a bar with call music and dancing.

The next day I got my first massage, which was so good on my back after lugging my massive backpack around for two months and then a load of us headed to a beach club called Potato Head to chill out for the day. It was a little bit expensive for drinks and food but the view from the infinity pool for sunset was totally worth it.


My last day in Seminyak was actually totally unplanned and a bit spontaneous but was so fun. I originally planned to go to Uluwatu but the guys I was meant to go with were too hungover to drive the scooters which meant I ended up going to Waterbom with some people I met the night before, 5 minutes before they jumped in to their taxi.

It's something like the third best water park in the world and there were definitely enough different slides to keep us entertained for the whole day. Just after lunch it absolutely tipped it down, the rain in Indonesia hurts, and they got everybody off the rides which was really weird. It was still one of the best days I had out there.


I left Seminyak to go on a Mojo Surf Camp in Java. I love surfing and I surf back home whenever I can but the currents over there were totally different so it felt like I had to pretty much re-learn how to surf. The first day I went out I got stuck in a dump wave and got some colossal bruises, as seen in the picture above!


We had two surf sessions a day with a pool lesson for learning better technique and by the end of the week I had upgraded from the 8"6 soft board to the 7"6 fibre glass. I loved the surf and the location was beautiful but the actual camp was a little dull...from everything I'd heard about Mojo in Australia I was actually really disappointed with the one in Java. I didn't regret it but I was so so glad to get back to Bali and onto Ubud!


No comments:

Post a Comment