Book Review | The Fault In Our stars by John Green *****

Sunday 23 June 2013

If you are a frequent user of YouTube then you have probably heard of John Green, one half of the VlogBrothers. A channel he uses to communicate with his brother Hank. Their channel has over one million subscribers and they are considered as some of the most influential people on the site. However, many of their subscribers don’t realise the John is actually better know for his writing of young adult novels.

In 2012, The Fault In Our Stars was released: a very moving and exceptionally well-written book about a teenage girl with cancer.

John Green has been quoted saying, “Sometimes you read a book…and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless, and until, all living humans read the book”. Well John you have nailed my feelings for this book directly on the head. Seriously, everyone must go and read this book now. Stop reading this, actually please don’t, but you get the idea.
In the book we meet two characters: Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters. They are both cancer patients who meet at a support group. But this book isn't just the typical book about people with cancer. These two fall head over heals in love: “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly then all at once” – Hazel Grace.  As readers we follow the pair’s journey of living their lives to the fullest, and these are not the sorts of events that some teenagers call “YOLO moments”.

Before I even finished reading this book, it was already one of my favourites and I am so grateful to my friend Lorna for recommending it to me. I loved it not only because it was so heart-breaking that it made me cry but because it showed two people who would not allow their illnesses to rule their life. The characters were so meaningful that the minute I picked up this book I just couldn't put it down.

I also loved this book as it deals with a subject that is close to my heart. I had a friend, his name was Joe, and he died of bowel cancer on the 6th of February 2013 at the age of sixteen. He was diagnosed with cancer in 2011 and underwent a course of chemotherapy. It was believed that he had beaten the disease until November 2012, when the doctors discovered the cancer had spread and was now terminal. During his illness Joe never once complained about how much pain he was in, much like the characters in Green’s book. Once Joe knew that his cancer was terminal he was determined to raise money for the charities Bowel Cancer UK and The Teenage Cancer Trust. As part of the fun raising a skydive was arranged which was completed my his sister Alex and several others, and thus Skydive4Joe was born. If you would like to show your support then follow this link ---> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skydive4joe/268549533268238

Now back to the book! I would definitely recommend this to anyone from either gender. Although, personally I wouldn't tell my Mum to read it as I feel that it is really a teenage/young adult book. I promise you will not be disappointed by this book and if you are like me then you will find yourself reading it again and again. You simply cannot dislike this book, but if you do then I'd love to know why - leave a comment!

This is a book that will stay with me throughout my life.

Some artwork by http://karifree.tumblr.com/ based on quotes from the book, go check out her blog!








- Amy Caitlin xo




No comments:

Post a Comment