East Coast Wanderings: Melbourne

Saturday 27 February 2016


I've made it to Australia! I've been wanting to come here for years and years and I cannot wait to see what the country has to offer! I absolutely loved the hostel I had for my week in Melbourne: United Backpackers - so modern and had a great bar! It was in such an amazing location with Flinders Street Station and Federation Square right on its door step.


The day I got there it was an art festival that night called White Night which was such a fun way to explore the city! 12 hours after I got there my friend Becca, who I met in New Zealand, joined me and it was so nice to have someone to run around with for the week! There were some spectacular light displays throughout the CBD and amazing food stalls all over the place.

On the first proper day we explored the CBD properly; Becca and I walked all over the place from the graffiti lanes to Fitzroy to the Parliament building to the botanical gardens to the modern art museum and finished the day off with a bit of shopping on Swanston street. 
There were even more amazing food places all over the city and I have to say that the only way to see the city is on foot because there were so many hidden streets and street art.

That night we gorged ourselves on the wine and cheese night at the hostel!


The next day was probably one of the hottest days I have ever experienced! The nice thing about having another person with you for extended periods of time is that you can buy some groceries (i.e large pots of yogurt) and you can share the cost and eat it all before it goes off! We did however find this coffee shop that did lush waffles on the go for like $3 called Waffee which we ended up going to everyday!
Becca and I decided to go the zoo that day but even the animals were exhausted! Prime example are the orangutans in the bottom photo! It ended up getting to around 43 degrees; it felt like there was a heater on me permanently!

 

One of the best things I did in Melbourne was the Philip Island Penguin Tour with Bunyip tours. There were maybe fifteen of us and we stopped at an animal sanctuary just outside of the city to have lunch and play with the kangaroos and wallabies. It was so amazing to have these animals running around you so freely and so happy to be around humans! Next stop was a Koala sanctuary on French Island where we learnt about koalas, they sleep so much cos their food is poisonous so it takes all their energy to digest it, and then went spotting them in the trees around the reserve!
The main event didn't happen until about seven in the evening and just as we got to the penguin centre it started to absolutely chuck it down! Luckily, us English girls are well prepared and came with coats and umbrellas and even bought a poncho to sit in together! Was so funny but unfortunately you're not allowed to take photos of the penguins because a flash can blind one of them.

On my last day we went up to the Queen Victoria Market and then hung out down at St Kilda for a day of relaxing on the beach. We went to the Lindt Chocolate cafe on the way back and went out to dinner in Chinatown before heading to Asian Beer Cafe.

Then I got on a bus to Sydney!


No comments:

Post a Comment