Julius Caesar at The Globe

Wednesday 16 July 2014

So last Thursday I hopped on a coach (a swanky first class Turners one!) with the rest of the people doing Performing Arts and Theatre Studies at my school and we headed to London!
The purpose of this?
To see Julius Caesar at Shakespeare's Globe!

Now, I had been to the Globe before but only for a tour - not to see a play. The play was also nearly three hours long so I wasn't sure how I felt about having to stand up for that long...but it was totally worth it!
As you entered the theatre the set was being constructed by two of the actors who were really in role even then. Some of the ensemble also came out and were getting the crowd chanting - one of them started singing Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs but replaced 'Ruby' with 'Caesar'....thinking about it now, you probably had to be there...

Tom McKay did a fantastic job as Brutus! He commanded the stage wonderfully and held his own against the other characters well. I really saw the arch his character had in emotions; from worrying about what they had to do (kill Caesar) to thinking they were right in what they were doing to actually realising that they weren't. It was truly powerful.
"The Fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves" - Cassius
The stand out performance of the whole play was definitely Luke Thompson who played Mark Antony. His "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech showed so much emotion and passion, it just really stuck with me for the whole performance (it's a three hour play, come on I'm going to forget some things!)


Me and my friends also realised that a lot of the names in this play are also in The Hunger Games, so that was quite an enjoyable game to play.
Here are the ones I noticed:
Caesar (duh), Brutus, Cinna, Portia, Octavius, Flavius, Cato and Claudius
After the performance we headed back to our coach to find that it had broken down...that wasn't fun. So we spent an extra three hours waiting for it to be fixed but hey ho we got  Nandos whilst we waited!
Have any of you guys ever seen a play at The Globe? What did you think? Let me know in the comments!
post signature
The images from this post were found on Google images
I do not know the original accreditation

No comments:

Post a Comment